Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day Sixteen

A wise woman once told me "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." That woman is my mother (yes, mom, I just quoted you). I believe that quote originally came from the movie Bambi, when Thumper's mom told him that he shouldn't say anything to someone unless it was nice. I know, it sounds childish, but in reality, this applies to people of all ages. Harsh words cut deep and put people down more than you'd think.

No one teaches us how to be mean, it's a behavior that we learn by watching other people. I know for a fact my parents never taught me how to gossip and make fun of people. Over the years, being on both ends of the humiliation spectrum, I have learned that sometimes silence IS golden. Knowing how it feels to be made fun of has changed my thought process completely on making fun of others. It hurt me, and why would I want to inflict that pain on someone else?

Think about that the next time you make fun of someone. If you have a conscience, I guarantee you that it will make you reconsider your motives. :)


IQ: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." 
                                                                -Debbie Henderson and Mama Thumper-

No comments:

Post a Comment